Portland Food Adventures in BARCELONA
with Chef Jose Chesa
Sept 19-26, 2018
- “Unparalleled experiences that we would have never been able to arrange on our own (Can Jubany, Tickets, the workshop with the two chefs).”
- “Beautiful location, the best food, really awesome people! What’s not to like? We couldn’t have asked for a more pleasant experience!”
- “The knowledge as to what foods were worth having was invaluable. I think knowing where to go for a good dining experience is not so hard. But having Jose present to inform, advise and sometimes order was awesome.”
- “Great time, great people! The size was excellent. I think the 41 Degrees workshop was fascinating”
- “I could never have done this on my own. Even knowing where to go, nothing beats having Jose there to order and recommend. Dining with a group is always more fun for me.”
- “Chef Jose was awesome and I really feel that I’ve explored excellent dining in Barcelona, from breakfast to tapas to dinner.“
- “We’ve been home now for four days, and we’re still saying ‘WOW, what a great trip to Barcelona’. We thank both you and Chef Jose for planning and executing the week’s activities…”
- We had the opportunity to meet a wonderful group of new best friends with similar interests who live right in our own backyard, all while enjoying opportunities that a single person or couple would virtually never get to experience traveling on their own such as behind the scenes access to top chefs and restaurants. Definitely worth any additional expense.”
This is a general itinerary from 2017 to give you a flavor for this wonderful trip with one of Portland’s most beloved chefs. Please note we are now in the process of making some changes to this itinerary. Jose and PFA are dedicated to providing the best experience possible. So as we progress, the restaurants and events are ones we have visited on past trips, but are subject to change. Subscribe to the PFA mailing list to make sure to be updated.
To get more information, or book your spaces, please call Chris Angelus at 503-208-4290 for serious inquiries, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sep 19 – Day 1
Arrive in Barcelona. We suggest arriving before 3pm so you don’t miss out on our welcome reception at the hotel at 6pm. If you would like to arrive the day before, please let us know. We can arrange extra days on either end of your PFA trip. A driver will pick you up at the airport and you’ll arrive at the H10 Urquinaona Plaza Hotel. We stayed there on our first PFA trip two years ago and our guests loved it.
Once you’re settled, we will convene outside on the patio for a welcome reception with Chef Jose and your host Chris Angelus. We will kick off our 4th PFA in Barcelona with a fave, Tickets.
Sep 20 – Day 2
We’ll start the day with a walk to The Boqueria, where Chef Jose will talk about the fresh fish he loves so much, and of course the jamon. We’ll grab a bite at one of our favored bars there.
Take the afternoon off to explore. We suggest the open air bus to get your bearings in the city. We’ll meet later for a wonderful dinner again at one of Jose’s favorites.
Sep 21 – Day 3
Today is a day that Chef Jose cherishes more than any other; a venture an hour northeast of Barcelona through the countryside to a place where Jose worked long ago with one of his early mentors, Can Jubany. We’ll have what many called the best meal of their lives on our first trip to Barcelona. We will meet Chef Nandu Jubany and his family, and tour the farm that supplies the produce for many of the dishes you’ll savor. After a long meal, we will return and your evening is free to digest what just took place.
Sep 22 – Day 4
Today, we will start our morning for a delightful casual meal at The Boqueria. Chef Jose will choose his favorites from Bar Pinotxo for you, including some of the xuccos what were the inspiration for the sweet delights he serves at his own 180 in Portland. Then we will stay in the Boqeria and retreat to a private space overlooking La Rambla, where we will meet one of Barcelona’s favorite chefs, Oscar Manresa. He will escort us back down to the market and we will enjoy two of his incredible bars in the market, one featuring iberico jamon and another, freshly shucked oysters. We will shop with him in preparation for a demonstration and lunch he will prepare for us. See something interesting that you’ve never had before? He may just buy some and prepare it for you.
Later, we will enjoy an incredible meal at Barcelona’s coolest pop-up.
Sep 23 – Day 5
Today is Le Merce Festival, a holiday in Spain, so there’s no better way to take in the color of the day than to have some of the city’s best paella right on the beach. Take the day to stroll and see the sights when there’s less bustle in Barcelona. Perhaps a visit to the wonderful Picasso Museum. We can make some suggestions.
Sep 24– Day 6
Quimet Quimet is a must! We will meet when it first opens at noon for wine and some of the best tapas on the planet, mostly based from the canned fish that’s so prized in Spain. We will have a free afternoon and then meet for dinner again.
Sep 25 – Day 7
Did we save the best for last? We think every day is the best, but this one will stand out. Let’s meet at one of the famed bars in Barcelona, Quimet y Quimet, to enjoy some tapas and bubbles. It’s on every list of the best places to go in BCN. For dinner, we are looking at Tickets, depending on when we know how many of you will be with us. It’s one of the hardest reservations to get in the world, but if we know soon enough, we will book it. If not there, someplace extraordinary for our grand finale dinner.
Sep 26 – Day 8
AM: Adios! We will transport you to the Barcelona Airport (BCN), or you may continue your adventure on your own! We may have something up our sleeves for three days afterward. We will let you know if this is a possibility. Also, we have another PFA in Sicily, Italy on 9/30. Or Mexico City on 10/28. You are welcome to join us there!
* Itinerary subject to change due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances, activities may change so that we can provide you with the best trip possible.
$5395/pp Double Occupancy / $800 single supplement (see deposit and payment details below)
($250 Early Bird discount earned for deposits before 12/31/17.) $500 Deposit/pp holds spot refundable up to 12/31/17. Balance of 50% of cost of trip due by 2/1/18. Then, balance of full cost of trip due by 6/01/18. All payments made after 12/31/17 are non-refundable. Payments other than initial $500 deposit (fees added) may be made by check only.
While our trips feature smaller groups for maximum enjoyment and interaction, this trip is subject to a low minimum number of guests. Please do not buy airfare until we inform you that the minimum has been met.
Our trips include accommodations in a beautiful, 4-Star hotels, hotel taxes, buffet breakfast, all transfers to and from the airport, all dining experiences cited in itinerary, a welcome lunch in Portland to meet your fellow travelers ahead of time, and transportation to our excursions away from the city. They do NOT include airfare or trip insurance (can be purchased online), tips, mini-bar, incidentals, gratuities and personal expenses.
We can help you with excursions before, during and after as well.
Ready? Contact email@example.com or call 503 208-4290 to get more info or to book your spot(s).
Photos ©2017 Portland Food Adventures. All rights reserved.